Thursday, August 30, 2012

John

We had state inspections today, well we were supposed to. Each year our apartment complex has inspections from the company and the state, we got chosen last year for the state to come in, they pick a few random apartments and go in them and make sure everything is up to par, this year they skipped us. That was nice but we still cleaned our butts off for it...at least the place is nice and clean for when I leave next week!

I made a really nice necklace today, with beads from Tara and Tammy, I thank them both for sending them to me, they work well together and make a very fun item! It is shown above and I hope you enjoy it as well. I am trying to get back into making things, but I am not sure what I have left in me. I really want to do things with images but my printer is out of ink right now so I will have to wait...

Today my feature is on someone very special, well each person I feature is special, this person just goes above and beyond. His name is John. Born in Rwanda, he has witnessed a lot in his young life, including the massacre of his village. Living now as an adult in Uganda, he is getting the education he was deprived as a youth. He makes art, with whatever he has available to him,  paper, seed beads, seeds, barrel beads, shells, wood and stretchy cord. He cuts and dyes coconut, shells, beans, seeds, whatever is close at hand. John sees beauty and art in many things others never notice.  He has recently started using banana fiber. His 'mom' here stateside has seen his work and takes care of his funds for him, she can't believe that some of the things he uses are actually paper, his work is amazing and his faith in God is strong. If you are looking for something that is created with love, talent and care check out his facebook page...it is under construction but there are somethings up there already. You can find it @ https://www.facebook.com/FromUgandaWithLove

Here is a sample of some of his work. I love all of it and as soon as I am able to I know I will be getting something, I'm just not sure what! I know I love the bean bracelet though!

As always, I hope you enjoyed reading and I will see you tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post, Laura - what a great story you have shared today! I'm off to the FB page....
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete